The first written note about Kodila manor is from
the 1436. At that time it belonged to the Teutonic Order. Unfortunately
we know so less about medieval time in Kodila´s manor house.
Since 1517 to 1699 manor belonged to Nourath´s Family( Nieroth).
That time was very hard for the owners and also for peasantry ,
because of the Livonian War(1558-1585) and Sweden- Poland war.
Wrangell´s family got the manor in 1699 and they had it until
1772. Despite of the fact that these two Baltic-German families
hold the manor for hundreds years, theres nothing about them in
In 1772 Wilhelm von Pohlmann bought the house. He was very well
In Tsarskoje Selo castle in Russia and he had good personal contacts
with tsarfamily itself. That might have been the reason why Kodila
manor was called hunting manor of tsarfamily. In the year 1786 he
bought the castle in Koluvere and moved there. At that time Augustine,
the princess of Würtenberg ,stopped there as well. What happened
between Pohlmann and princess of Würtenberg, we never really
get to know, but there are many legends and stories about their
love afar. Augustine died in 1788 in mysterious way . Her death
has been associated with Pohlmann´s name and that caused problems
to him already at that time.
Despite all the problems, Pohlmann´s time in Kodila was very
important. After devastating war years( The Great Northern War 1700-1721)
the land started to stabilise, houses and villages were rebuilt
and the population started to grow. Development was fast and in
the end of the century the landlords and Adel could afford very
luxurious life. It was the time when spectacular manors and castles
The baroque style main house made of limestone in Kodila is from
the end of 18th century. At that time all the economical houses
were built of stone as well.
The symmetrical placement of the economical houses gave special
glorious look to the main house. In the year 1782 there were 26
mail and 28 female servants working in the manor house, which is
a big number compared to other manors in Estonian at that time.
But all that luxurious life caused many expenses and soon after
that the owner got into big debts and he had to sold the manor(
it was common thing to do).
After that Kodila manor changed the owners often. For a short time
it belonged to Tiesenhausen´s and even to Adam Johann von
Krusenstern, who was born in neighbourhood, at Hagudi manor house.
During this unstable situation all the glory of the manor was gone.
Because of that , in the year 1876, the manor lost its rights to
knight manor(rittergut) and was renamed as a half manor(beigut).
In the year 1898 Mihkel Zimmermann bought the manor , he owned it
until the 1941.
After 1941 the main house was used as a office of the state enterprise
and the baroque interior was transformed due to it. The main hall
was rebuilt into workers living rooms. At later times the house
was used as the office of the local kolkhoz.
There used to be wooden balcony at the back façade, but
it is demolished now. Interesting are two pavilions at both sides
of the main house , in the old times they were used as a watch towers.
Today the manor is a private property.